Orange & Pistachio Hedgehog! A homemade sweet that’s fit for the holiday season! Beautiful notes of fresh orange and extra crunch from the pistachios!
- 170g unsalted butter
- 250g (1 1/2 cups) coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs (125g), lightly whisked at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (20g) cocoa or cacao powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 400g (2 x 200g) store-bought arrowroot biscuits or plain digestive biscuits, use gluten free if preferred
- 1/2 heaped cup (70g) salted pistachios, shells removed and roughly chopped
- Line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and sugar. Stirring occasionally until butter has completely melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes to avoid your eggs curdling when mixed through.
- Once cooled slightly, stir through whisked eggs until well blended.
- Return to stovetop over a low-medium heat.
- Sprinkle over cocoa and stir through.
- Stir through orange zest.
- Heat mixture until it has thickened and small bubbles begin to appear in the middle of the pan, whilst mixing well.
- Remove from heat and stir through vanilla.
- Crush biscuits to a chunky crumb in a high-speed food processor, one packet at a time.
- Gradually mix through crushed biscuits and chopped pistachios to the chocolate mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into lined pan and smooth out the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight, until completely set.
- Remove slice from pan slice into squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.