This glorious slice has a ginger nut biscuit base and a creamy golden icing with an extra touch of ground ginger. It has the perfect ratio of sweetness paired with the warm and sharp taste of ginger. Easy 3-ingredient base that requires no baking paired with a delicious icing that is velvety smooth.
- 250g packet ginger nut biscuits
- 115g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (80g) unsweetened condensed milk or condensed coconut milk
- 80g unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp (60g) golden syrup
- 1 cup (150g) icing/powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp (5g) ground ginger
- Line a square pan 9 inch x 9 inch (20cm x 20cm) with baking/parchment paper and set aside.
- Crush biscuits in a food processor until it turns to crumb. Alternatively, crush biscuits in a plastic zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to roll over them until they turn to crumb.
- Place crushed biscuits in a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, add butter and condensed milk. Place over a low-medium heat until butter is completely melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally, do not let it to boil or simmer.
- Remove butter mixture from heat and pour over crushed biscuits. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Set pot aside as you’ll use it again for the icing.
- Press mixture into lined pan, evening/smoothing out the top. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until firm. NOTE: There will be excess melted butter that settles on top of the base, this is ok, it will set and be extra delicious!
- In the same pot, add all icing ingredients; butter, golden syrup, icing sugar and ginger.
- Place over a medium heat and mix with a spatula until completely melted and smooth, it will thicken up. Keep stirring until no lumps remain, don’t let it simmer or boil, you may need to turn the heat to low.
- Once icing is smooth, remove from heat and take the base out of the fridge.
- Pour icing over base and move pan around to allow the icing to spread out evenly, you may want to use your spatula to spread it out.
- Return to refrigerator and allow icing to set, about 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Once icing is set and firm, remove from pan by lifting up the baking paper and place on a board.
- Slice into rectangles or squares.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.