The best ever gluten free lemon slice! Paired with an indulgent, fluffy white chocolate buttercream frosting. This slice is absolutely perfect to have on hand when you are after that ‘something sweet’ snack. Now this isn’t vegan as it does contain dairy but it is gluten free! We have to indulge sometimes right…?
This base is super simple with only 4 ingredients. I use plain gluten free arrowroot biscuits that i found from my local supermarket, but any plain sweet biscuit/cookie will work. All binded together with decadent condensed milk and fresh zesty lemon.
- 2 x 200g packets plain arrowroot biscuits (gluten free)*
- 1 medium lemon, zest and juice
- 1½ cups condensed milk
- 1½ cups desiccated coconut
- 100g white chocolate*, melted
- 60g butter, chopped into chunks
- 3 cups icing sugar (gluten free)
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Line a 10 x 10 inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a high speed food processor, add 1 packet of the biscuits and process until a fine crumb. Pour into a mixing bowl. Repeat with the second packet of biscuits.
- Add the lemon zest and juice to the crumb mixture.
- Pour in condensed milk and desiccated coconut.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, you may find it easier to mix it using your hands.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan and place in the refrigerator.
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt white chocolate. Begin frosting while chocolate is melting but remember to stir the chocolate every now and then.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, add butter. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the butter for 30 seconds or until just soft.
- Gradually add icing sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- If white chocolate is done, take it off the heat to let it cool slightly.
- Between the addition of the icing sugar, add almond milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add in vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add melted white chocolate and beat mixture for a further 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Evenly spread frosting on top of the base and place back into the refrigerator until set, approximately 1 hour.
* You can also use vegan white chocolate.
Keep slice in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 10 days, if it lasts that long 😉