I wanted to start off this post with a massive thank you and a virtual hug! I’ve recently been overwhelmed with all the love, kindness, support and encouragement each of you have shown me via here on my blog and on my instagram page. I’m a tad obsessed with instagram if you couldn’t already tell… my favourite thing to do is connect with you all on there, it’s such a wonderful community to be apart of. So today I’m bringing you my all time favourite recipe, which has been handed down to me, my families Hedgehog slice! It’s the classic sweet treat everyone loves and enjoys and i hope you will too.
I have been making this hedgehog slice for as long as i can remember, my mum always made it until i really got involved and loved baking in the kitchen. I love how simplistic this recipe is, i don’t even have to look at it now, i know it off by heart. The original recipe is not gluten free but it was an easy change over to gluten free biscuits. I also swapped white sugar for coconut sugar, much lower GI. This decadent slice is just what you would imagine a smooth fudge brownie to taste like, with crunchy bites of biscuit throughout. Have i convinced you yet? 🙂
- 170g salted butter
- 250g coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 400g (2 x 200g packets) arrowroot biscuits, processed to a chunky crumb
- Line an 10 x 10 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, melt butter and sugar together.
- Remove from heat once melted. Let mixture cool for approximately 10-15 minutes or until its warm to the touch. You don’t want your eggs to curdle.
- Stir through beaten eggs.
- Mix through cacao and return to heat.
- Bringing slowly, almost to boiling point, stirring mixture with a wooden spoon while it thickens.
- Stir through vanilla.
- Add half of the crushed biscuits first and mix until they are well coated, repeat with the remaining biscuits.
- Pour and press mixture into prepared pan. Be careful as it will be very hot.
- Place in the refrigerator for approximately 2-3 hours or until fully set.
- Slice into bars, serve and enjoy!
Use any plain sweet biscuit, i use plain gluten free arrowroot biscuits.
Keep in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 1 week to 10 days.