Just like the original Rice Krispie’, only made with chocolate and created without any unnecessary flavours and additives! These crispy squares are as light as a feather so you may need a few of these to satisfy your sweet tooth. These are lightly sweetened with maple syrup, that’s it, no refined sugars!
- 3 cups (130g) unsweetened rice puff cereal, I use Natures Path Organic Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1/4 cup (25g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (30g) desiccated coconut
- 50g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (70g) almond butter
- 1/4 cup (80g) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 8” x 8“ square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice puffs, cocoa and coconut. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium sized pot over low-medium heat, add butter, almond butter and maple syrup. Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is melted down and smooth. The almond butter may take the longest to melt down, just keep mixing!
- Remove from heat and pour it over the dry mixture. Gently mixing until the puffs are well coated.
- Press mixture firmly into lined pan. Pressing down with your hands so the top is in an even layer. Then take a flat spatula and flatten the slice again, you want to ensure it’s compacted/firmly packed, so it sticks together and doesn’t crumble when slicing.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until completely set and firm. You may also leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from pan and slice into squares.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.