It’s Friday and to celebrate the end of a busy working week, you need to make these delightful mixed berry crumble bars, because what is a day without an incredible sweet treat? Well in my world anyway! This beauty of a slice is gluten free, simple and one of the best snacks to have in the house as it also doubles a dessert, you know you want too! Go on and heat a few berry crumble bars then pour over that delicious custard, perfection!
I’m sure you have seen these berry crumble bars everywhere over Pinterest and I thought that I need to publish my own on here for you guys! Any sweet recipe including berries is a favourite in my books and I hope a favourite in yours too. Recently I have re-discovered my love for traditional baking. I have been consumed with our new lifestyle and dietary changes which includes eliminating gluten, refined sugar and limiting our intake of dairy and processed foods, you know, that new healthy way of life all the cool kids are into.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m still utterly and completely all for using organic and healthier ingredients and products but I can’t help but not to go off the rails and dabble a little into naughty baking. You know the deal, butter, sugar, flour and butter, did I mention butter…? I feel like we need to take a moment of appreciation for butter and it’s role in baking but we ain’t got no time for that today! We must focus on these incredibly amazing mixed berry crumble bars, are you licking the screen??
You will LOVE this crumble base, it’s pretty epic (if I do say so myself) and you shouldn’t be ashamed if you snack on the raw base dough, it’s quality control! Oh and you cannot go wrong with mixed berries, duh! Wait and listen whilst they bubble away in the oven but I do warn you, patience is key in this recipe because it has to set and chill out in the refrigerator for an hour or so but not to worry, good things come to those who wait and that my friend is you! Enjoy!
- Crumb Base
- 2½ cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g butter, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line an 9" x 9" square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a high speed food processor, add all crumb base ingredients and pulse until well incorporated and mixture sticks together, like a dough.
- Press half of the mixture into prepared pan, set aside other half for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients, mix well.
- Pour berry mixture over base and press down with a spatula.
- Crumble other half of base mixture over berries to cover.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Then place pan in refrigerator to cool down completely, approx. 1 hour.
- Remove from pan and cut into squares or bars.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Use my all purpose gluten free flour recipe.
Allow slice to cool down completely in it’s pan and harden in the refrigerator. This will ensure the bars will stay intact.