An easy flatbread recipe in your own recipe repertoire is a little golden nugget you can turn to whenever you need something to slop up that delicious homemade curry sauce with dinner!
Recipe adapted from Jenny Can Cook
- 175g (1 1/4 cups) white unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried Italian herbs
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour. Whisk through yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour in warm water and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix the flour into the liquid. Mixing until a soft dough forms. You may want to use your hands for this step!
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead lightly until the dough is smooth all over, approx. 10-20 seconds of light kneading.
- Form dough into a smooth ball on floured surface and cover with a clean tablecloth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small cast iron skillet or fry pan, drizzle enough olive oil to create a light coating on the base and sides of the pan. Begin to warm pan over a low heat.
- Divide dough into four quarters. Take one quarter and cover the remaining with the tea towel.
- Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour. Roll out piece of dough to a 1cm-2cm thick round.
- Increase heat of pan to medium-high. Once hot, place dough round into pan and cook for 30-40 seconds until air bubbles begin to appear under the dough.
- Carefully flip over and cook for a further 20-30 seconds until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from pan and whilst still warm, brush over a thin layer of olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and dried herbs. Set aside. NOTE: Keep the completed flat breads warm in a pre-heated oven while you make the remaining flat breads, if desired.
- Repeat this method with the three remaining dough pieces.
- Serve and enjoy with homemade curry!
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days.