A basic pancake recipe that’s created in one bowl and doesn’t lack flavour. Made with 8 simple ingredients, a bowl and fry pan. Infused with flavourful golden butter and plenty of vanilla bean extract to make these homemade pancakes taste amazing.
- 3 Tbsp (60g) melted butter, then cooled slightly, plus extra for frying
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp (18g) baking powder
- 3 Tbsp (45g) raw or white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) milk, at room temperature, use plant based milk if desired, I used almond milk
- 1 large egg, beaten, (egg weighing approx. 55g-60g in shell)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- First melt butter and set aside to cool slightly before adding. This ensures your egg doesn’t cook when they’re mixed together. Butter should feel just warm, not hot, when you dip your finger in.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Whisk through sugar and salt.
- Pour in milk, cooled melted butter, egg and vanilla. Whisk until well combined, about 20 seconds. Ensure not to over-mix. There may still be small lumps of flour in the batter, that’s ok.
- Sit your batter aside for 5 minutes.
- Whilst your batter is resting, place a medium sized non-stick fry pan over low-medium heat.
- Melt some extra butter, about 1-2 tablespoons. Using a pastry brush or paper towel, brush a light layer of butter over the base of the pan.
- Turn heat up to medium and scoop up 1/4 cup of batter, pour into the middle of the pan and gently spread out with a spatula into a 10cm (4 inch) circle.
- Cook for 1 minute then flip and cook for a further 45 seconds. Remove from pan and repeat process with remaining batter, whilst continuing to brush a layer of butter on the pan before pouring in your next pancake. Cook multiple at a time if enough fit in your pan.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- If desired, add your favourite pancake toppings such as fresh berries, citrus fruits and ice-cream.
- Store leftover pancakes in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2 days.