Rocky Road without the marshmallows! Yes you heard that right, zero marshmallows in this nutty rocky road! Why? Because sometimes we don’t want to consume gelatine right?
We don’t have to stick to the rules when it comes to making our favourite sweet treats. Let’s get creative and think outside the box, that’s when things begin to get exciting! Take this rocky road for example, first of all you’re going to infuse that chocolate of yours with peppermint! See, it’s getting pretty exciting around here 😉
Since we have dropped our marshmallows in this rocky road recipe, we need to jazz it up and make it worthy of our time and our passion for the humble classic rocky road. Peppermint infused dark chocolate is next level delicious and I know you’re so eager to get your hands on your very own slice. In addition to the flavoured chocolate, we’re creating a rocky road that’s nutty. Chopped up almonds, pistachios and cacao nibs.
Cacao nibs are making a feature again this week because I had them out on my kitchen bench when I was also making these delightful Cacao Nib Vanilla Cookies, which I’m sure you’re already all over?? Add those cookies to your weekend baking too, they’re pretty great, you’re welcome.
Coconut oil is added to the chocolate because this will ensure you don’t snap your teeth when you bite into a square, thank me later!! Ouch!
Peppermint Nutty Rocky Road (Marshmallow Free)
- 400 g dark chocolate block/cooking chocolate broken into squares, I use Organic Times Dark Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 drops pure peppermint essential oil or peppermint essence* I use DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup whole almonds roughly chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup pistachios shells removed and roughly chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Half fill a small pot with water and put over a low-medium heat.
- Place a medium-large heat proof bowl over the pot.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil into the bowl and gently melt it down, stirring occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Reduce heat to low.
- Add desired amount of peppermint drops, mixing well after each addition. I used 3 drops of the essential oil. Taste test as you go.
- Stir through coconut.
- Add chopped almonds, pistachios and cacao nibs, mix through chocolate until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle over extra chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Refrigerate until completely set, approx. 1-2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!