Satisfying and heartwarming, this classic chunky soup is a favourite in many households. Made with a variety of vegetables, beans, tomatoes, vegetable stock and pasta. Serve your soup with slices of crunchy bread!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large (350g) carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 3 stalks (200g) celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium (350g) white potato, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 x 400g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (120g) purple or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup (100g) large shell pasta
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- In a large soup pot, add oil and put over a medium heat.
- Once warm, add onion, carrots, celery and potato. Sauté vegetables for 7-10 minutes until just softened and fork tender, whilst stirring.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, dried herbs, vegetable stock, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid, turn heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add cabbage and pasta. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked and is al dente.
- Remove bay leaf and turn off heat.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week.