I’m really enjoying sharing these easy, healthy and delicious savoury recipes with you these past few weeks and i have been getting some fantastic feedback. I know not everyone has a big sweet tooth and thats why i hope to cater to more of you who enjoy these savoury, lunch and dinner meals. This newbie I’m introducing to you today is the perfect side salad to have with your main meal or as a simple and quick lunch. A warm mixture of chickpeas, sautéed sweet potatoes, toasted sesame seeds all tossed together with fresh herbs and spices.
I enjoyed this healthy, vegan and gluten free salad with my easy Sweet Potato and Black Rice Veggie Patties and some delicious Zoodles i made for dinner last week. Who is interested in a recipe for Zoodles?!
I always get asked and i’m sure many of you do as well, what do you eat as a vegetarian/vegan? A kale leaf and a small selection of pre-frozen, store bought vegetables seems to be what people think i eat if i don’t eat meat. I always tell everyone that a vegetarian/vegan diet is full of variety, flavour and options. I never exposed myself to all the amazing vegetables there were and how easy they were all to prepare before i become a vegetarian. You wouldn’t catch me eating a vegetable voluntary. Now, i will eat any veggie you give me!
This healthy chickpea and sweet potato salad is one of many flavoursome vegan recipes you can create and enjoy, simply for your lunch or as a side addition to your dinner. I invite you to give this yummy recipe a try for yourself, i promise you, it’s not a boring one kale leaf green salad, far from it!
- 1 large can chickpeas, drained
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and chopped
- Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon, the grated zest of
- ½ small lemon, the juice of
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted under the grill
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Cook diced sweet potato until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Stir through salt, pepper and cumin. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the other 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and sauté diced onion and minced garlic until translucent and lightly browned.
- Once cooked, take off heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chickpeas, sweet potato and onion and garlic mixture.
- To the mixture add lemon zest and juice, turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Toss through parsley and sesame seeds.
- Serve and Enjoy!