Can we just take a moment to appreciate how great saucy pasta bake is on a cold winters evening? I mean there is no other perfect time to enjoy pasta bake right?! This Tomato, Spinach and Cheese Pasta Bake is filled a delicious basil based tomato sauce, veggies, fresh herbs, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes and a whole lot of cheese! Tossed in the best gluten free penne pasta, duh!
I think I should let you guys know that this past week was my first week working on my blog/food recipe development little business, full time! How exciting! I finally took the plunge and jumped into this great opportunity I created for myself. I cannot wait to bring you many delicious sweet and savoury recipes and much much more! See my use of explanation marks there..! I may even eventually create video content for you guys, would you be interested??? Making videos is such an exciting concept for me yet the scariest at the same time, ya feel me?? But don’t they say “life begins at the end of your comfort zone” I’m going to try and live by that statement.
PASTA! baby, this is what you came for… for this pasta recipe…. correct? You’ll be loving yourself sick after mouthful of this yummy oven baked penne pasta. This dish is absolutely perfect as a main meal or side dish. Honestly, I can always eat a side of a house and more so I like to enjoy this pasta bake with various other condiments such as, salad, steamed veggies and of course some type of cooked potato *always hot chips*. On that topic, what do you call hot chips? I’m referring to fries, here in Australia we call them hot chips but I feel like the more universal word is fries, either way, I LOVE HOT CHIPS! and i’m sure you do also. Is there a hot fried appreciation society out there that I can enjoy???
Will you be making this for your dinner tonight?! Simple, flavoursome, fresh and wholesome ingredients used to create this homemade family classic, even better? Leftovers the next day! Don’t tell me you don’t think of that too? Let me tell you something for free, leftover pasta on toast, or as we Aussie’s call it, ‘Spag On Bread’ oh my goodness golly gosh it’s THAT good!
- 340g Barilla Gluten Free Penne Pasta
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or oil of choice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks spring onion, diced
- 400g Jar Barilla Basilico Pasta Sauce
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ⅓ cup grated cheese of choice*
- Extra grated cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and grease a large baking dish with oil, set aside.
- Fill a large pot with filtered water half way, bring to the boil, when water is boiling, add penne pasta and stir until completely covered.
- Cook according to packet instructions. I cooked my pasta for 10 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain off and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large frypan, heat coconut oil on high.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté until translucent.
- To the pan, add spring onion, and cook for 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add pasta sauce to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes until heated through.
- Pour in vegetable stock, mix well.
- Stir through spinach, parsley and rosemary, mix until spinach is just wilted.
- Add pasta to pan and mix until well combined and all the pasta is covered with the sauce. Turn off heat.
- Toss tomatoes and cheese through pasta.
- Pour pasta into prepared baking dish, pressing pasta into the pan with a spatula.
- Add desired amount of extra grated cheese all over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.
- Remove pasta from oven and serve immediately.