Do you love being healthy? Do you find it enjoyable to whip up nutritional meals in your kitchen? I certainly do! Today’s recipe is one that is just that, healthy, nutritious and delicious.
I’ve really been going 100% on health in recent times and my meals filled with all the goods. I’ve actually started to add in lunch to my days, which I always skipped on because I never gave it the time of day but we need lunch! I always just had a filling breakfast, snacked throughout the day and then had a extra big dinner. You know what my problem was? Well my lunch care-factor was nil but also, you need recipes in front of you to give you that motivation and inspiration for lunch. If you have no idea what to make, if you don’t have the time to think or make it, then how is that going to help you?
So I’ve made it a little mission of mine to help you out with your lunch (also mine) and provide you with EASY, HEALTHY, DELICIOUS and most of all quick and easy meals. Just like this one I have for you today. I first thought of wraps, such as taco wraps, but to take it to the next level in the health department, I decided why not just go ahead and use lettuce as the ‘wrap’? I know this idea is not new. I had always seen these lettuce boats, especially across Pinterest and never gave them a second thought, but now…. Wow wee!! They’re so YUM!
So these beautiful lettuce boats are my version, filled with sautéed tempeh, capsicum, chickpeas and topped with cabbage, avocado and fresh parsley. You’re also going to make a super quick dressing which is made with wholegrain mustard (YUM!), apple cider vinegar, a touch of honey, fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Whisked altogether and voila, you got yourself a tasty dressing! Its a mix between tart, sweet and vinegar – I think you’ll like this one!
I much prefer to use cos/Romaine lettuce for the lettuce boats, because NO-ONE wants to endure the frustration of delicately removing each iceberg lettuce leaf do we? No deal!
You ready for lunch? LET’S GO!
- 2½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 150g tempeh, diced
- Half of 1 capsicum (your choice of colour), sliced into strips
- 100g canned chickpeas, drained
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pink salt & cracked black pepper, to season
- Half of 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup purple cabbage, finely shredded
- Small handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small head cos/romaine lettuce, leaves removed and washed
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients, whisk until well combined. Taste test and adjust to your liking if needed. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Add diced tempeh to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add sliced capsicum, chickpeas and remaining herbs and spices, sauté for a further 2-3 minutes or until capsicum is tender crisp and tempeh is cooked through.
- Prep your toppings and lettuce whilst filling is cooking.
- Remove filling from heat.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with some of the filling, toppings and a drizzling of the dressing. Fill as many lettuce leaves as you desire, or until your filling is all used up!
- Serve and enjoy!