Hey guys! I hope you have had a great start to your week, can you believe it’s already Wednesday?! Well get excited because i have yet another savoury recipe for you. These beauties are my Sweet Potato and Black Rice Veggie Patties, wickedly delicious, morish and is honestly one of the easiest veggie patties i have created, now is that enough praise to get you to try this recipe for yourself?
I love to create tasty, fulfilling veggie patties for dinner and they are even better for leftovers the next day and the day after that! Now, this recipe will make a big batch of mixture fit for a family of 4-5 people! I created such a large quantity because i personally love having them for lunch or dinner the next day. This amount also allows you to make larger burger patties instead of small golf ball sized ones. You can easily half this recipe if you don’t require as many patties, easy!
I welcome you to add any additional herbs, spices and veggies to your mixture for various flavours, its a fantastic base veggie patty recipe!
- 2½ medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into quarters
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- 1 small green capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 small yellow capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 spring onions, diced
- 4 asparagus stalks, chopped
- Handful of fresh mixed herbs, i used parsley, rosemary and oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- Cook black rice according to the manufactures instructions of the brand you use.
- I boiled mine for 20mins until al dente and drain off water through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- While rice is cooking begin on the sweet potatoes.
- Bring a medium sized pot, filled half way with water to the boil.
- Add chopped sweet potato and boil on high for 15-20min or until soft and tender.
- Whilst you’re waiting, prepare your vegetables and herbs, set aside in a bowl.
- Drain of water from sweet potato and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash potatoes and then let them cool in bowl for 10min.
- Add rice to mashed potatoes and mix until well combined.
- Fold through vegetables and herbs until well combined.
- Add spices, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into just a bit bigger than golf ball size. Flatten slightly with hands.
- You can make the patties even bigger into burger bun patties as this recipe makes around 15-18 small patties.
- Place patties into pan and fry in coconut oil for 1-2 minutes, flip over and repeat.
- Continue to fry the patties on each side until they brown nicely and are cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Store veggie patties in an airtight container, refrigerated for 3-5 days.