This classic heartwarming risotto is homemade and absolutely morish! Packed with flavour and luscious texture of softened pumpkin, rice and spinach will leave you humbled and satisfied. A vegetarians dinner delight!
- 300g kent or butternut pumpkin
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (200g) red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups (400g) white basmati rice
- 1 tsp (2g) ground turmeric
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 1 packed cup (40g) fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large stalk spring onion, trimmed and diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup filtered water, if needed
- Peel and chop pumpkin into large chunks.
- In a high-speed food processor, add pumpkin chunks and pulse until chopped into smaller pieces/chunks, a bit bigger than diced. If you don’t have a food processor, you may chop the pumpkin up by hand into smaller pieces. Set pumpkin aside.
- In a small pot, pour enough of the vegetable stock to nearly fill the pot. Place this over a low heat and allow it to gently warm up.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Pour in extra virgin olive oil.
- Add diced onion and sauté over a medium heat until just beginning to soften, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and continue to sauté for a further 2 minutes until onion is translucent and garlic is slightly golden and fragrant.
- Pour in rice and mix well with the onion and garlic. Cook rice, whilst stirring, for 2 minutes on the medium heat.
- Add chopped pumpkin and mix well through the rice.
- Pour about half a cup of the warmed stock into the rice. Keeping heat on medium, stir rice until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Continue to pour in the stock in small amounts, mixing until each batch is absorbed into the rice. Also keep filling the small pot up with the remaining stock to warm.
- Continue this process until the rice is soft and cooked through by absorbing all the liquid.
- About halfway through adding the stock, sprinkle over turmeric and season with salt and pepper.
- Once all stock is used, stir through the chopped spinach, spring onion and parsley. You may need to add a little water if needed to loosen the rice or to help it cook through more.
- When the rice is cooked and softened, remove from heat.
- Scoop into serving bowls and sprinkle with extra fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days.
To use the risotto another day, simply heat up your non-stick fry pan, add the rice along with some more vegetable stock or water until it’s warmed through.