Happy Friday! Yes it’s nearly the weekend again and i’m super excited to bring you this delicious tasty dish! If you weren’t already aware, i do have a few savoury recipes on my blog and it is about time that i bring you a brand new one! This is my version of a healthy, vegan fajita bowl. I call it a fajita bowl because all these ingredients are what i usually put in those soft wraps or taco shells, i just decided to combine them altogether in one bowl!
Since discovering the existence of black rice, i’m completely and utterly obsessed with it! Don’t get me wrong, I’m still into white jasmine rice but i love the addition of black rice to this dish. Now who here LOVES taco time??! For me, i much prefer the soft wraps than the hard shells, yum yum! Now this is my version of a fajita bowl, packed with nourishing veggies, black rice and fresh wholesome toppings. I welcome you to add more of your favourite ingredients to this fajita bowl because let’s be honest, everyone has their own version of what goes in taco shells don’t they? This bowl of absolute goodness is:
Powerhouse of flavour
Hits the spot
I have stated in the ingredient list to use store bought salsa, because i use it! I love this one and i get it from Costco, but you can use any salsa you wish! The salsa is like the cherry on top, adds flavour and what dish doesn’t use a sauce? The freshly diced tomato and avocado is perfection to cut through the heat, i just had a thought… you can even add cheese if you like. See! You can add so many yummy ingredients as you wish. Now i hope you enjoy this vegan fajita bowl, it’s been my go-to dinner meal for the past few weeks!
- Rice + Vegetables
- 1½ cups black rice*
- 1-4 Tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 1 large purple onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric powder
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
- 1 medium capsicum, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Store bought salsa, for the sauce
- Half an avocado, sliced for topping
- Fill a medium/large pot with filtered water half way, add rice, over high heat bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, remove lid and cook on medium-high for 20-30 minutes or until ale dente.**
- Drain rice through a fine sieve once cooked, set aside.
- Prepare all vegetables as per ingredient instructions and set aside in a large bowl.
- Using a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil until melted.
- Sauté onion and garlic powder on high heat, together for 1-2 minutes or until onion is translucent and browned.
- Stir through turmeric powder.
- Add chopped carrot, cabbage, cauliflower and capsicum to the pan and another 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Sauté vegetables on med-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more coconut oil if mixture begins to stick.
- Once vegetables are cooked, stir through rice, cooking mixture over med-high heat for a further 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Turn off heat.
- Stir through tomato and parsley.
- Serve up rice mixture into bowls.
- Stir salsa through servings and top with avocado.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*You can add more black rice if you want more servings. Up to 2 cups using this recipe.
**Black rice takes anywhere between 20 - 40 minutes to cook. You may choose to cook the black rice prior starting the meal since it takes a while. Just set it aside in an airtight container until ready to use.