This household favourite hedgehog slice is timeless, rich and absolutely morish. It’s texture is firm but fudgy with chunky crushed biscuits throughout. It’s rich chocolate flavour is created with butter, coconut sugar, cocoa powder with a touch of vanilla. Make this hedgehog slice for the entire family to enjoy at home, work and school.
- 400g (2 x 200g) store-bought plain arrowroot biscuits or plain digestive biscuits, use gluten free if desired
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups (200g) coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature and beaten (each egg weighing approx. 55g-60g in shell)
- 1/4 cup (30g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- Line a 9 x 9 inch (22cm x 22cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add both packets of biscuits and pulse to a medium crumb, leaving some bigger chunks throughout. Crush one packet at a time if your processor/blender is smaller. Set biscuits aside.
- Place a medium-large flat based saucepan over low heat, add butter and sugar. Gently melt butter down whilst stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until completely melted and sugar has begun to dissolve. It won’t dissolve completely. Remove from heat once all of the butter has melted.
- Set aside and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. This cooling step is to ensure your eggs won’t cook when you add them next. This mixture will begin to firm up whilst it cools, keep stirring occasionally to avoid it getting too hard, if it does, place it over a low heat for a minute to loosen it up again. To test if it’s cooled enough, dip in your finger and it should feel slightly warm/at room temperature, not hot. Refer to to the notes for more info.
- Once cooled slightly, stir through beaten eggs until well combined.
- Add cocoa powder and stir through until just combined. Return to stovetop and place over a low-medium heat. Continue stirring through the cocoa until well combined.
- Stir through vanilla.
- Increase heat to medium and cook mixture until it thickens, whilst stirring often. This will take about 3 minutes. Small bubbles will begin to appear in the middle, which you’ll first notice the bubbles appearing underneath the mixture when you’re stirring.
- After 3 minutes and when some bubbles continue to pop and it has thickened, remove from heat.
- Add crushed biscuits and desiccated coconut. Gently mix through until well combined and biscuits have all been coated in the mixture.
- Pour mixture into lined pan and smooth out the top. Be careful handling the pan and mixture as it will still be hot.
- Transfer hedgehog to the refrigerator and allow it to set for 3-4 hours or overnight, until it’s completely firm.
- Remove slice from pan and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.
My number one tip for you when making this hedgehog slice is after you have melted the butter and sugar together. You need to allow this mixture to cool down until it’s just warm and even better, closer to room temperature. Why? Because you’ll be adding the beaten eggs in the next step and we do not want those eggs to cook and scramble when you add them. They need to seamlessly blend through the melted butter and sugar mixture. Then when you return it to the heat, you have already tempered your eggs and you won’t end up with little bits of scrambled eggs throughout your hedgehog.