English Breakfast Tea Cake! Gluten & dairy free, this cake is under 10-ingredients and a lovely treat to enjoy with friends on a relaxing afternoon!
- 1 3/4 cups (400ml) boiling water
- 1 Tbsp loose leaf English breakfast tea or 2 English Breakfast Tea Bags
- 3 cups (400g) dried pitted dates
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 cups (300g) gluten free all purpose plain flour, or regular wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg (70g in shell), lightly whisked at room temperature
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºC). Line a 9 inch x 5 inch rectangle baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished loaf with smooth edges.
- Pour boiling water into a large heatproof jug. Add loose leaf tea or tea bags and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Whilst tea is steeping, place dates into a high-speed food processor and pulse until chopped into small chunks. Alternatively, chop dates with a sharp knife into small chunks.
- Transfer dates to a large mixing bowl.
- Once tea is ready, place a sieve over the dates and pour in tea, catching the tea leaves/tea bags in the sieve.
- Mix dates and ensue they are all covered in the liquid. Set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Once soaked, add sugar and mix until well combined.
- Stir through whisked egg.
- Sift over flour, baking powder and all spice.
- Mix/fold until well combined into a smooth batter.
- Pour into lined baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top has set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm or cold with a spread of butter or keep it plain!
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 45min
- Cook Time: 50min