Heartwarming and freshly baked batch of oat infused cookies with dark chocolate chips and cocoa throughout. Crisp around the edges with a soft and slightly chewy middle.
- 3/4 cup (90g) plain all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp (25g) dutch-process cocoa powder or unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (80g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) raw caster sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (200g) dark chocolate chips, plus extra for topping/decoration
- In a small mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- In either the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or a large mixing bowl with an electric hand beater, add softened butter to the mixing bowl.
- Add both sugars and beat on high for 2 minutes until butter turns creamy and pale and the sugars are well combined with the butter. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat on high until well combined, about 20 seconds, scraping down the sides.
- Pour in oats and beat on low until well combined, it will begin to form a dough.
- Add dry flour mixture and beat on low speed until a soft dough forms and flour is well combined. Ensuring not to over beat.
- Add chocolate chips and beat on low until the chips are just combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Or transfer dough to a smaller bowl or wrap it in plastic wrap so it fits in your fridge.
- Whilst they’re chilling, preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with baking/parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and pick up approx. 2 heaping tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball.
- Flatten it in your palms to a round cookie disc, refer to above images on the tray.
- Place on tray, 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough, you might have to bake these in batches.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the tops are just set, they’ll still be soft, they will continue to set on the warm tray once removed.
- Have some extra chocolate chips ready to add to your baked cookies.
- Remove from oven and take a few chocolate chips and slightly and gently push them into the top of each warm cookie. They’ll turn shiny from the warmth of the cookies and hold in place whilst the cookies cool down.
- Cool on tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark pantry, for 1 week.