Create your very own chocolate sauce/syrup using only 5-ingredients. With an easy one pot method, this sauce is rich and oh so chocolatey. Free from refined white sugar, thickeners and additives, this better for you chocolate sauce is perfect served over ice cream, in milkshakes and in a glass of chocolate milk for the kids!
- 1 cup (250ml) filtered water
- 3/4 cup (215g) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (60g) dutch process cocoa powder or natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt or regular sea salt, may also use pink salt
- In a medium size pot, pour in water and maple syrup.
- Turn heat to high and bring water and maple to a boil, whilst whisking.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low until it comes to a simmer.
- Add cocoa powder and vigorously whisk through.
- Bring mixture to a rapid simmer/soft boil, over a medium heat.
- Cook mixture for 8-10 minutes, keeping a watchful eye ensuring it doesn’t rapid boil or burn. It will begin to slightly thicken after 5 minutes. Whisk the mixture every 30 seconds.
- To test it, coat the back of a spatula or wooden spoon and draw a line through the mixture with your finger, if the line stays, it’s done. A note on that, the mixture is on the thinner side so it’s ok if it hasn’t thickened right up during cooking as it will in the refrigerator later on.
- Remove from heat and whisk through vanilla and salt.
- Allow to cool down in pan for 30 minutes.
- You can use this sauce whilst it’s still warm or store for later.
- Pour into a heat proof glass jar, I use a mason jar. Pop on the lid and place in your refrigerator for 2+ hours until it’s thickened up slightly. You can leave it overnight too before using.
- Serve over ice cream, in milkshakes, make chocolate milk and much more!
- Store in the airtight glass jar for 2 weeks.