Sugar free, gluten free and vegan cookies! No they’re not disgusting…
I have never made a sugar free cookie before, can you believe it? Have you?! This was actually a fluke to be honest. I had a recipe typed out and it actually had coconut sugar, me being by rushed and forgetful self, I simply forgot to add the coconut sugar, oh my! But, they turned out perfectly! *applause all round*
I was walking and eating one of them as soon as I had finished photographing them and thought hmmm, there seems to be something missing from these cookies, OH NO! THE SUGAR!! It’s all good though, sugar free is a good thing, did you know sugar causes your skin to sag which causes ageing, yeah, no deal, sugar free cookies, here we come! Just excuse the rest of my blog with a copious amounts of sweet cupcakes, cakes and slices everywhere you look, ha ha, balance is key.
On to the cookies!! These beauties are flavoured with sweet orange (see there’s the sweetness!), cashews and of course, chocolate! Dark dark chocolate, the best kind, in my opinion. If you want a truly sugar free experience, please omit the chocolate. You could say the same about the orange but then you would;t have a cookie at all, now that’s just inconvenient isn’t it!
Now, when you’re forming the cookies to readiness to bake, the mixture will be sticky but, once you get rolling and forming the balls, the mixture will come together quite nicely and hold its shape, if not, add a little more coconut flour or corn flour until they are good to go!
Enjoy these absolute scrumptious sugar free, gluten free and vegan cookies, they’re definitely one to add to your ‘all the time baking list’, do you have one of those? I do!
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 4 Tbsp corn flour
- ⅔ cup gluten free oats
- 4 Tbsp coconut flour
- Zest of 1 large orange
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ⅔ cup full fat coconut cream
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean extract
- 50g dark cooking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a high speed food processor, add cashews, corn flour, oats, coconut flour, orange zest and salt, pulse on high until cashews are completely broken up. Leave mixture in processor.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut cream, orange juice and coconut oil, heat on high until boiling point. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring mixture whilst it boils.
- Turn off heat and immediately pour liquid mixture into the processor with your dry mixture. Pulse on high until well combined. The mixture will be sticky.
- Roll approx. 1-2 tablespoons of mixture to form balls. Place on prepared tray. Press down to form a round cookie shape. Continue with remaining mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden and the cookies easily come off the baking sheet.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle each cookie with melted dark chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!
The cookies mixture will be sticky, if it’s hard to form a ball/cookie, simply add more coconut flour or corn flour to the mixture to help it hold it’s shape.