These soft glorious cookies are simply that, melt-in-your-mouth! With a delicate crumb and the perfect amount of fresh lemon to flavour. The cookies are created in one bowl which then forms a soft dough. You’ll then roll the dough into logs, refrigerate and then slice your cookies, easy peasy lemon squeezy! They’re paired with a luscious lemon icing created with 4-ingredients!
- 200g (1 cup) salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (110g) powdered icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 drops pure grade lemon wellness essential oil, I use Young Living Wellness Oils*, this is optional, if you don’t have the oil just leave it out. Or you can try lemon extract from the baking section in the supermarket
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 1/2 cups (230g) plain all purpose flour, may also use plain gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) powdered icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 1 /2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk of choice
- 4 drops pure grade lemon wellness essential oil, I use Young Living Wellness Oils*, this is optional, if you don’t have the oil just leave it out. Or you can try lemon extract from the baking section in the supermarket
- You can use either the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or in a large mixing bowl using a hand beater.
- To the mixing bowl, add softened butter and beat on low speed for a few seconds until creamy.
- Sift over icing sugar and beat until well combined and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon essential oil (if using) and vanilla. Beat until well combined, about 20 seconds.
- Sift over flour and beat on low speed until well combined and a soft dough forms. Ensuring not to over beat.
- Lightly flour your bench top or a large board. Remove dough from mixing bowl and place on your floured bench.
- Bring the dough together then cut in half.
- Roll each piece of dough into logs, 8-9 inches (20cm) in length. Then wrap each log in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator for 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove one log from the fridge and unwrap.
- Using a sharp knife, slice into cookies, about 1cm (half an inch) in thickness. Place on lined tray, leaving a 5cm (2inch) gap between each cookie to allow for spreading. It’s ok if your cookies around perfectly round.
- You may need to bake these in batches with the 2nd log in the fridge, just repeat this same method.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden around the edges but still pale in the middle and not over-baked, this is what will make them melt in your mouth!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 3 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add all frosting ingredients, if you don’t have the essential oil, simply omit it.
- Using a spoon or whisk, I find a spoon easier, mix everything together until well combined. The icing will be thick.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of icing onto your cooled cookies. The icing will begin to set quite quickly.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the cool dark pantry or refrigerate in a warmer climate, for 1 week.
*IMPORTANT: When I say pure grade essential oil, please be sure to get your hands on a good quality oil such as Young Living Wellness Oils which have been rigorously tested and approved for use in food and for them to be ingested. Their regular lemon oil is also apart of their culinary range. Many oil brands that are not regulated have many added unknown ingredients in the bottle of oil, many fill them up with a carrier oil and synthetic fragrances, which do not belong in your food or your body. If you don’t have this oil or access to pure grade and approved lemon essential oil, simply omit it from this recipe as it still uses fresh lemon. Or you can try lemon extract from the baking section in the supermarket.