Homemade Chocolate Wheatens! Just like the store bought but much better! You’re going to go wild over how easy and yummy these make at home chocolate wheatens are. They taste just like the ones you can buy and all you need is 6 ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain all purpose flour, I use unbleached organic plain flour
- 1/3 cup (30g) wheat germ*
- 120g salted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/3 cup (50g) coconut sugar, or light brown sugar or rapadura sugar
- 1 large egg (approx. 56g in shell), lightly beaten
- Chocolate Coating
- 150g dark chocolate block of choice, I use Cadbury or Lindt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large flat baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and wheat germ. Mix until well combined.
- Add chilled cubed butter to the four and using your hands, rub the butter into the flour until it reaches the consistency of course bread crumbs or wet sand, approx. 2 minutes.
- Stir through sugar.
- Pour in whisked egg. Use your hands to mix until well combined and the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Pick up one heaped tablespoon of dough and roll into a smooth ball. Place on lined tray and press down with the palm of your hand to flatten out into a round disc.
- Repeat with remaining dough, leaving about 5cm space between each biscuit.
- Take a fork and prick the surface of each biscuit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden all over and the biscuits come away easily from the baking paper.
- Remove and cool on pan for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Coating
- Once biscuits have cooled completely, prepare a double boiler with a heat proof mixing bowl over simmering water.
- Break chocolate into squares and place in the bowl. Gently melt over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once completely melted and smooth, turn off heat.
- Dip the bottom (flat side) of each biscuit into the chocolate to just coat the base. Allow excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl.
- Place back on wire rack, or a tray lined with baking paper with the chocolate side facing up.
- Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- Take a fork and gently create a swirl or ’S’ shape into the chocolate whilst it’s still soft, so it creates that beautiful decoration.
- Place tray with biscuits into the refrigerator until chocolate has completely set.
Store in an airtight container, refrigerated or in a cool dark pantry, for 1 week.
*You can find wheat germ from your supermarket, local health food store or online.