These cookies are your classic crisp on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside kind of cookie. With soft and melty chocolate chunks throughout!
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, I use a store bought blend of maize (corn), tapioca, rice & vegetable gums.
- 1 tsp (3g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 80g butter (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) raw granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (40g) light brown sugar, can also use coconut sugar
- 1 large egg (approx. 65g with shell), at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80g) roughly chopped dark chocolate block of choice, I use Cadbury baking chocolate or Lindt. You may also use dark chocolate chips instead of the block
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add softened butter and both sugars.
- Beat butter and sugars together for 1 minute until well combined and soft, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until well combined and creamy. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add all the flour mixture and beat until a soft dough forms.
- Add chocolate chunks (or chips if using) and beat until combined and dispersed through the dough.
- Roll dough into 1 tablespoon size balls (weighing approx. 30g each). Place on lined baking tray 3 inches apart to allow for spreading (see above photo on tray). Do not flatten the balls.
- Push a few extra chocolate chunks/chips into each ball if desired, ensuring not to flatten them in any way when doing so.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and tap the tray on your bench top or a wooden board 3 times to flatten the cookies a little. Immediately return to the oven with the tray rotated from the original way you had it. Bake for a further 3 minutes or until the cookies turn lightly golden around the edges and the middles are still soft.
- Remove from oven and tap tray on your bench top/wooden board 3 times to flatten slightly again. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 1 week.