Classic Shortbread Cookies! The epitome of Christmas and the Holiday Season! These can be also be made gluten free! Dip in melted white chocolate for extra flair and sweetness!
- 2 cups (300g) plain all-purpose flour, or plain gluten free flour if preferred
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing sugar
- 185g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 small egg yolk
- 2–3 Tbsp chilled water
- Star and/or snowflake standard size cookie cutters
- Decoration – If desired
- 180g white chocolate block + 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted together
- In a high-speed food processor, add flour and icing sugar. Pulse a couple of times to blend together.
- Add chilled cubed butter. Pulse for 15 seconds until mixture resembles coarse crumb.
- With processor running, add egg yolk through the shoot and pulse until just combined.
- Through the feed shoot, drizzle 1 tablespoon at a time of chilled water while pulsing the mixture, until it begins to come together but not a ball of dough. If the dough is still too dry, add a little more water.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Bring together and gently knead until it forms a smooth dough ball.
- Flatten slightly into a round disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge.
- On a lightly floured work surface or on a sheet of baking paper, roll dough out to 2-3mm in thickness. Add more flour to the surface if dough begins to stick.
- Take the star and/or snowflake cookie cutter (or cutter of choice) and cut out shapes. Place each on lined tray. Re-rolling excess dough until used up. You may need to use multiple baking trays.
- Place tray with cookies into the refrigerator to chill dough for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until pale and very lightly golden around the edges. Ensuring not to over-cook.
- Remove from oven and cool on tray for 3 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled and if desired, dip each cookie halfway into melted white chocolate + coconut oil mixture. Place on a clean tray and allow chocolate to set. Alternatively, refrigerate until chocolate hardens.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry for 10 days.