Homemade and wholesome madeleines in the best flavour, chocolate! Simple 2-bowl method and only 30 minutes of refrigeration time before baking. The addition of melted dark chocolate and coffee enhances the chocolate flavour even further.
- 1 cup (150g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, or regular plain all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 2 Tbsp (15g) dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp powered instant coffee
- 3 large eggs, each weighing approx. 60g in shell
- 2/3 cup (130g) raw granulated sugar
- 110g unsalted butter, melted, then cooled slightly
- 100g dark baking chocolate, melted, then cooled slightly
- 12-hole non-stick madeleine pan
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1–2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cocoa and coffee. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and sugar. Using a hand whisk, whisk vigorously for 2 minutes until pale yellow.
- Add half the flour mixture into the whisked eggs, gently folding with a spatula until just combined. Add remaining flour and fold until just combined.
- Pour in melted butter, melted chocolate and vanilla. Gently fold through until well combined, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF).
- Prepare Madeleine Pan
- To prepare madeleine pan: Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Take a pastry brush and lightly brush a little of the melted butter into each madeleine well.
- Add 1 tablespoon cocoa into a small fine mesh sieve or mesh tea ball.
- Lightly dust a layer of cocoa into each madeleine well.
- Turn pan over and into the kitchen sink, tap the side of the pan a few times to remove any excess flour. Pan is ready.
- Remove batter from refrigerator.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into the middle of each madeleine well. Leaving the batter untouched, it will spread out into the wells during baking.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until madeleines spring back when lightly pressed in the middle.
- Remove and cool in pan for 2 minutes.
- Take pan and onto a clean bench, lightly tap side of pan on the bench and the madeleines should fall out by themselves. Alternatively, remove each from pan using your hands.
- Transfer to a wire rack and dust over a little cocoa powder if desired.
- You will need to repeat the above method of preparing your madeleine pan as there is enough batter to make 24!
- Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 3-4 days. Best enjoyed freshly baked!