Cardamom Spiced Cookies paired with a fresh lemon icing drizzle! These cookies require zero hand or stand beaters, making them the best cookie to whip up when you don’t feel like spending a chunk of your precious time in the kitchen over the weekend.
- 300g (2 cups) plain all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 185g (1 cup) light brown sugar, lightly packed* see notes
- 1 large egg (56g in shell)
- 2 Tbsp (40g) maple syrup
- Lemon Drizzle
- 2/3 cup icing/confectioners sugar
- 1–2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and cardamom. Whisk until well combined.
- Add cold cubed butter to the four and using your hands, rub the butter into the flour until it reaches the consistency of course bread crumbs or wet sand, approx. 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and mix until well combined.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, add egg and lightly whisk. Pour in maple syrup and whisk until well combined.
- Pour into flour mixture and using your hands, form mixture into a dough, mixing and lightly kneading.
- Once a dough has formed, pick up approx. 1 tablespoon and roll into a smooth ball. Place on lined tray and press down with the palm of your hand to flatten out into a round disc.
- Repeat with remaining dough, leaving about 5cm space between each biscuit to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden around the edges and the biscuits come away easily from the parchment paper.
- Remove and cool on pan for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon Icing
- In a mixing bowl, add icing sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Mix with a spoon until smooth and icing sugar has dissolved. Adding more lemon juice if needed to create a pourable icing consistency.
- Once cookies have completely cooled, drizzle over lemon icing.
- Set aside until icing has set.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 1 week.
*Lightly packed brown sugar means to press the sugar lightly into your measuring cup using the back of a teaspoon, add more, lightly press down again, until the amount of sugar reaches the brim of your measuring cup.