Salivate over these glorious homemade chocolate cookies that look and taste like you got them straight from the corner bakery! Created with 9-ingredients with rich dutch-process cocoa and dark chocolate chips, this cookie recipe is one to keep!
- 3/4 cup (125g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) raw granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (140g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature (weighing approx. 55g in shell)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) plain all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) dutch process cocoa powder, if you don’t have access to dutch-process, you can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (7g) baking soda
- 1 cup (180g) plain dark chocolate block, roughly chopped, I use cadburys baking dark chocolate, Lindt is also good
- Melt butter then set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes until close to room temperature but not starting to set again.
- Pour butter into a large mixing bowl. Add both sugars, whisk until well combined and a light thick mixture forms with no lumps of sugar remaining, about 30-40 seconds.
- Add egg and vanilla, whisk until well combined and mixture is smooth.
- Sift over flour, cocoa and baking soda. Fold and mix until well combined and a soft cookie dough begins to form, it will be thick, ensure not to over-mix.
- Add chopped chocolate and fold until combined throughout the dough.
- Transfer bowl with cookie dough inside to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Whilst dough is chilling, preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line a large flat baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and pick up 2 level tablespoons of dough, weighing approx. 40g-45g and roll into a ball. Place onto lined tray, leaving as balls, do not flatten.
- Repeat with remaining dough, leaving enough space between each cookie on tray to allow for spreading, about 10cm (4 inches) between each cookie, also leaving a gap between the cookies and the edge of the tray. You will have to bake your cookies in batches if you have one tray.
- Bake for 8 minutes then remove cookies from the oven and tap the tray on your bench top or a wooden board 3 times to help deflate/flatten the cookies a little. Immediately return to the oven and bake for a further 2 minutes until cracks have formed on top and they’re set around the edges. The middles will still look slightly under-baked, it’s ok to remove them as they will continue to bake on the tray whilst they cool. Ensuring not to over-bake them helps achieve a soft and slightly fudgy middle.
- Remove from oven and tap tray again on your bench top/board 2 times to deflate. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Or allow for them to firm up a little then enjoy a warm cookie whilst the choc chunks are still gooey!
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark dry pantry for 1 week.