Chocolate Crinkle Cookies! Fudgy chocolate cookie dough rolled in snow white icing sugar! Perfect for your at home Christmas baking!
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup (150g) plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup (150g) white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (70g) light brown sugar, lightly packed* see notes
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 50g (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted then slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup icing/confectioners sugar, plus more if needed
- Note: The batter for this recipe requires 4 hours or overnight chilling time.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift cocoa powder. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until well combined, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add both sugars and coffee powder, mix until combined.
- Stir through vanilla and melted butter until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well with a whisk after each addition.
- Add half the dry flour mixture. Whisk until just combined.
- Add remaining flour and use a spatula or wooden spoon until it forms a thick smooth batter, it will be quick thick.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate batter for 4 hours or overnight until the batter is firm enough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place icing sugar into a small bowl.
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Pick up approx. 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a smooth ball.
- Place ball in the icing sugar and roll it around until its completely covered in the sugar.
- Place on lined tray. Keep them in balls, do not flatten. Leaving about 2 inches between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Repeat above method with remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cracks appear. The tops of the cookies will still be soft when you remove them, they will firm up once cooled.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 1 week. *Lightly packed brown sugar means to press the sugar lightly into your measuring cup using the back of a teaspoon, add more, lightly press down again, until the amount of sugar reaches the brim of your measuring cup.