Picture this, a mix between Anzac Cookies and Chocolate Wheaten Biscuits, drool worthy right? These Oat Chocolate Cookies are exactly a combination between those two classics and you’re going to absolutely fall in love with their flavour, texture and all-round deliciousness.
These cookies are leading in their own lane because you’ll be taking out that distinct Anzac Cookie flavour, which is the maple syrup or golden syrup and replace it with rice malt syrup. This leaves you with a perfect oat cookie base. The Wheaten Chocolate Biscuit part? You guessed it, that glorious melted chocolate topping that hardens to perfection after refrigeration. I decided to use milk chocolate and it’s absolutely divine. I hope you enjoy x
Chocolate Coated Oat Cookies
- 2 cups rolled oats, gluten free if preferred
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour, I use ‘Bob’s Red Mill Baking 1-1 Gluten Free Flour’
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 100 g coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 150 g milk chocolate block melted
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, desiccated coconut and sugar, mix well.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt together coconut oil and rice malt syrup until completely melted and smooth. Leave heat on low.
- In a small bowl, add baking soda and pour over boiling water, whisk well and immediately pour into warm oil mixture, mix until combined, it will begin to froth, once it does, remove from heat and pour into oat flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pick up approx. 2 tablespoons worth of mixture and form into flat cookies, place on lined tray. NOTE: these cookies will rise and puff up slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove and cool on tray or 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies have completely cooled, melt the milk chocolate in a double boiler.
- Once melted, dip the top side of one cookie into the chocolate to coat the top well, pick up and allow excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place back onto wire rack or a flat tray.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Place in refrigerator until chocolate topping has set.
- Serve and enjoy!