Chickpea & Black Bean Spinach Spiced Stew! Easy homemade stew spiced with curry powder and cinnamon! Offering you a good dose of plant based protein thanks to the chickpeas and black beans! Naturally gluten free and vegan!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium (130g) red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, sliced into half moons (see photos)
- 400g (1 can) canned chickpeas, drained
- 400g (1 can) canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup (250ml) canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati or jasmine rice, to serve
- 2 loosely packed cups (70g) fresh baby spinach leaves
- Fresh basil and coriander to serve
- In a large fry pan heat olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until just turning translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir through curry powder, cinnamon and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat to develop the spices.
- Add chickpeas and carrots, cook for 5 minutes until the carrots soften slightly.
- Add black beans and mix until well combined.
- Pour in coconut cream and stock, mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low and allow to simmer with a lid on for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture thickens and the liquids have mostly soaked up.
- Start to cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Add spinach leaves and stir through until wilted, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve in dinner bowls paired with cooked rice.
- Garnish with fresh basil and coriander if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min