Wholesome and tender with soft buttery layers. These savoury scones are filled with fresh chives and grated cheese. Perfect to serve for morning or afternoon tea. Enjoy them fresh from the oven with a spread of butter or cool them down to serve later.
- 2 cups (300g) plain all purpose flour
- 3 tsp (15g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (5g) salt
- 80g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/3 cup (10g) fresh chives, chopped, bit bigger than diced
- 1 cup (80g) grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk of choice, I use almond milk
- 2 Tbsp milk of choice, for topping
- 2–3 Tbsp extra grated cheese, for sprinkling on top
- 6cm (2 inch) round cookie cutter
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in chilled cubed butter and rub into flour using your hands or a pastry cutter until it resembles a coarse crumb.
- Add chives and cheese, stir through until combined.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in milk. Using a wooden spoon or spatula to gently mix together until incorporated. It will be a rough soft dough. Ensure not to over-mix.
- Lightly flour your bench top or board.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and lightly knead to bring any loose bits together and you have a soft dough. The dough is not meant to be completely smooth so it’s ok if there are still some small pockets of flour remaining. Ensure not to over-knead as it will result in tough scones.
- Pat dough out and form a thick disc, approx. 3cm (1 inch) high.
- Dip your 6cm (2 inch) round cookie cutter into flour, shake off excess and cut out dough into round scones. Transfer to lined baking tray. Each scone can be slightly touching.
- Re-roll excess dough, pat it back out to 3cm (1 inch) high disc and cut out more scones.
- Lightly brush the tops of each scone with milk.
- Sprinkle a little extra grated cheese on each scone.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely or serve your scones warm with a spread of butter if desired.
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 3-4 days. These scones are best consumed when they’re freshly baked! Or warm scones up over the next few days to freshen them up.