Orange & Cinnamon Cupcakes! These delightful cupcakes are beautifully fluffy and infused with fresh orange zest, juice and a touch of ground cinnamon! Serve these at a special occasion or spoil yourself and enjoy any day of the week. The cake itself is a one-bowl method making your life even easier!
The orange and cinnamon infused cake is absolutely glorious. The texture is incredibly fluffy, just like a cupcake should be! This wonderful 1 bowl wonder will be stored away in your recipe repertoire I’m sure 😉
The buttercream frosting is flavoured with fresh orange zest and juice. There is enough cinnamon in the cake that I wanted the creamy frosting to shine with orange. If you happen to have orange essential oil on hand, you can most certainly add a few drops to your frosting along with the fresh orange, the more the merrier!
What’s great about this cake recipe is you can switch up the flavours if you desire. Simply omit the orange and replace with another citrus fruit or another flavour you love! Lemon, grapefruit, mandarin, peppermint, coffee, oh the list can go on and on.
Hope you enjoy this recipe friends! xPrint
These delightful cupcakes are beautifully fluffy and infused with fresh orange zest, juice and a touch of ground cinnamon! Serve these at a special occasion or spoil yourself and enjoy any day of the week. The cake itself is a one-bowl method making your life even easier!
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, or regular plain all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (160g) raw granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg (approx. 60g in shell), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 90g unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) icing sugar, also known as confectioners sugar, plus extra if needed
- 2 heaped Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a regular size muffin baking pan with cupcake patty liners. This recipe makes 10 regular size cupcakes!
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and orange zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Add egg, milk, oil, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Using a spatula, gently fold until well combined and flour has been folded through, ensuring not to over-mix. This batter is quite thin!
- Spoon into cupcake liners, filling each 3/4 way full. This recipe makes 10 cupcakes.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden on top and a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Orange Buttercream Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached, or a large mixing bowl using an electric hand beater, add softened butter. Beat until creamy.
- Add 1 cup icing sugar and beat until just combined.
- Add orange zest and juice then the vanilla. Beat until just combined.
- Add another 1 cup icing sugar and beat well. Then the remaining icing sugar. Beat for a further 30 seconds until light and fluffy. The buttercream should still be thick enough to hold it’s shape when piped. If your buttercream is too soft, add a little extra icing sugar to thicken it up.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a medium sized closed star nozzle. Fill bag with the buttercream and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated or in a dark pantry, for 3-4 days.