This classic cake is soft, moist and absolutely scrumptious. Created in one bowl using 9-ingredients, it’s one of the easiest cakes you can bake. Featuring plain greek yoghurt which creates an incredible moist texture. Lightly flavoured with freshly squeezed lemon juice + zest and a dusting of icing sugar to serve.
- 2 cups (300g) plain all purpose flour or your favourite plain gluten free all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (130g) raw or white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 2 tbsp (20g) fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup (260g) plain greek style yoghurt
- 2 large eggs (approx. 55g-60g each in shell)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 tsp icing/powdered sugar, to serve or apricot or orange jam if desired
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a round 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished cake with smooth sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Add yoghurt, eggs, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Using a spatula, fold until combined and no pockets of flour remain, ensuring not to over-mix. The batter will be quite thick, thanks to the yoghurt.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smoothing out the top.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean and it’s lightly golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust over a light layer of icing sugar using a fine mesh sieve. Instead of the icing sugar, you might like to brush your cake with an orange or apricot jam, if desired!
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store cake in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.