Lemon Loaf! This homemade lemon loaf is created in one bowl and then drizzled with a lemon infused icing! It’s fluffy, light and just perfect to serve for afternoon tea.
You can make your lemon loaf using either plain wheat flour or make it gluten free using your go-to gluten free plain all purpose flour. Be sure not to over-mix your batter otherwise your loaf may turn out a little too dense. This loaf is made in one bowl (except the icing) which makes your life so much easier. Here’s my tip: when you’re mixing your liquid ingredients into your dry, your eggs will still be whole. Make things even easier by breaking up your eggs a little first, still in the bowl, before completely mixing everything together. This will ensure you do not over-mix your batter, trying to break up and mix through the whole eggs.
The loaf is then drizzled with a simple 2-ingredient lemon icing. Allow the icing to Harden before serving.
This homemade lemon loaf is created in one bowl and then drizzled with a lemon infused icing! It’s fluffy, light and just perfect to serve for afternoon tea.
- 2 cups (300g) plain all purpose flour, can also use gluten free plain all purpose flour (I use a store bought blend of maize (corn), tapioca, rice & vegetable gums)
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125g) raw granulated sugar or white granulated sugar
- 2 heaped Tbsp (20g) lemon zest, approx. 2 small lemons or 1 large lemon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature* read notes for my tip
- 3/4 cup (170ml) milk of choice, at room temperature, I use almond milk
- 1/3 cup (70ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp (50ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 small lemons or 1 large lemon, once you juice these lemons, you will have a couple tablespoons left over, which you will use for the icing
- Lemon Icing
- 3/4 cup (120g) icing sugar, also known as confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice, this juice will be left over from the lemons juiced in the cake, if not, juice another half lemon if needed
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºC). Line a 9 inch x 5 inch rectangle baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished loaf with smooth edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Make a well in the center and add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Fold and mix until everything is just combined, mixing through all pockets of flour if any left behind. Ensuring not to over-mix the batter.
- Pour into lined pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 37-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and the middle is set on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon Icing
- In a small mixing bowl, add icing sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Once loaf is completely cooled, drizzle over lemon icing. It will drizzle down the sides so be sure to have your loaf on a tray. Allow icing to set.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 4-5 days.
*TIP: when you’re mixing your liquid ingredients into your dry, your eggs will still be whole. Make things easier by breaking up your eggs a little first, still in the bowl, before completely mixing everything together. This will ensure you do not over-mix your batter, trying to break up and mix through the whole eggs.