Taking two absolute classic flavours and pairing them together in a wholesome homemade bundt cake! This easy chocolate cake is infused with fresh orange zest and a hint of coffee to bring out even more of that beautiful cocoa flavour.
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) plain all purpose flour, you may also use plain all purpose gluten free flour
- 2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (160g) raw or white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange, approx. 2 Tbsp
- 1 cup (250ml) dairy free milk of choice, at room temperature, I use almond milk
- 1 Tbsp (6g) instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (75g) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs (65g each in shell), at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar, also known as confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp (15g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) room temperature water
- Orange zest curls, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Grease and flour a large bundt pan (see notes).
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder and orange zest. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add milk and coffee. Whisk until coffee dissolves.
- Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour dry mixture into milk mixture and fold until combined, ensuring not to over-mix but still mixing through all pockets of flour.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Gently remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Icing
- In a small mixing bowl, add icing sugar, cocoa powder and water. Mix until smooth and well combined. Adding a little more water if needed to loosen it up further.
- Once cake has cooled, drizzle over icing.
- Decorate with orange zest curls if desired!
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark cool pantry or refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
- How to grease and flour your cake pan:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Using a pastry brush, dip into melted butter and brush the entire inside cake pan with a thin layer of the butter.
- Using a tea ball infuser or small sieve, spoon in 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and dust a light layer of flour over the butter. Shaking out excess flour over your kitchen sink.
- Don’t forgot to grease and flour the centre pole in your bundt pan!