How can you beat homemade granola? Oh wait, you can’t!
Making your very own granola at home allows you to gain back control of what exactly goes into your breakfast cereal. The store-bought granola’s are high in added sugars and that’s something we don’t want to be feeding ourselves and our loved ones first thing in the morning.
This classic granola is the chunky kind. Now some people prefer either loose or chunky granola or both, no judgement here! The 3 granola recipes I have shared on here are all the loose kind:
But today I’m finally sharing with you the chunkiest of granola’s, yay! Making this recipe also wonderful to take on the go with you as a healthy snack. You’re just going to fall in love with the flavour and chunky pieces of granola when you create this recipe for yourself. I’m calling this a classic granola because of it’s classic flavour profile. The ground cinnamon is so divine that each mouthful is like a warm hug.
What makes this granola extra chunky? The secret ingredient is, whipped egg white! Yes, whipping up one egg white is what provides you with those glorious chunky bits of delicious granola, you’re welcome.
You’ll be needing 10-ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand, winning! Then to serve up your freshly baked granola, serve with your liking of either milk, fresh and dried fruit. Here’s exactly how I serve mine:
Cereal bowl filled with granola, almond milk and topped with fresh blueberries and sultanas, seriously scrumptious!Print
Chunky Granola with Pecans, Cashews and Cinnamon! 10-ingredient chunky style homemade classic granola. Each mouthful is like a warm hug!
- 2 cups (200g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (50g) coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup (70g) raw cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp (10g) chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (100g) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (65g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF) and line a large flat baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, coconut, chopped cashews and pecans, chia seeds and cinnamon. Mix until well combined with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, add egg white and use a whisk to beat until frothy and white, approx. 1 minute (see photo above).
- Pour whipped egg white into granola mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon and spread granola out onto prepared tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toasted and golden. Do not stir granola during or after baking, otherwise you won’t get any chunks!
- Remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely on tray.
- Once cooled, you can gently pick up chunks of granola and transfer them to an airtight container to store for later or serve right away!
- Serve with milk or yoghurt, fresh berries and dried fruit!
Store granola in an airtight container or a glass jar, such as a mason jar, in the pantry, for up to 2 weeks.