ou classic homemade chunky granola with added wholesome spices used to create chai! With cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and pepper. Break your fast with this tasty, crunchy and golden granola served with your choice of yoghurt and fresh berries. Or as I like to have it, granola + almond milk!
- 2 cups (200g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (50g) desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup (90g) raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (70g) raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp (10g) chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cracked or ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (100g) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (65g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF) and line a large flat baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, coconut, chopped almonds and pecans, chia seeds and all the spices and pepper. Mix until well combined with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, add egg white and use a whisk to beat until frothy and white, approx. 1 minute (see photo above).
- Pour whipped egg white into granola mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon and spread granola out onto prepared tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toasted and lightly golden. Do not stir granola during or after baking, otherwise you won’t get any chunks!
- Remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely on tray.
- Once cooled, you can gently pick up chunks of granola and transfer them to an airtight container to store for later or serve right away!
- Serve with milk or yoghurt, fresh berries and dried fruit!