This date banana loaf has always been that go-to recipe when you need a snack on hand in a hurry! I’m unsure why i didn’t share it with you sooner, it’s simple, tasty and healthy! Pretty much right up your alley if you’re reading this. I’m sure many of you have a similar recipe to this one you have tried before, it’s a mix between banana bread and a tea loaf. My favourite way to enjoy this loaf is with a generous spread of vegan butter and a nice hot cup of tea. Let’s be honest though, it’s pretty magnificent when it comes straight out of the oven and you dollop a little butter on a freshly cut slice, intensely waiting for it to melt before you devour it in a couple of seconds…you feel me??
I love this loaf because it’s not your usual banana bread that is so very popular at the moment and yes i already have 2 banana bread recipes on my blog, i’m clearly an advocate for banana bread, who isn’t?! This recipe uses pitted dates and a little coconut sugar for sweetening and mashed banana for bulk and binding. If you really want to get creative, you can additional spices such as all spice and cardamon. It’s a wonderful classic loaf recipe which you can enjoy for a sweet treat or it works perfectly as an appetiser.
I cannot leave out the best bits but i have saved the until last. This banana date loaf is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free…party on people, party on! Let me know how you enjoy this healthy loaf, my suggestions are with melting vegan butter with a side of hot tea or hot chocolate!
- 2 cups gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 125g pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- Butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and chopped dates.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and mashed banana.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix, pour in wet mixture. Gently fold wet into dry until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, making sure not to over bake.
- Remove from oven and let the loaf cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from pan by lifting up the parchment paper and let it cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Serve with butter and enjoy!