This DIY milo is much healthier than the store-bought version, have you seen those ingredients? Oh my – yikes! This milo is filled with a variety of nuts, chocolate chips, coconut sugar and of course cocoa!
- 1/3 cup (45g) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup (25g) raw pecans
- 2 Tbsp (20g) hemps seeds or sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup (70g) milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (70g) LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond meal)*
- 1/2 cup (100g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut milk powder**
- 1 cup (100g) unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- In a coffee grinder, in batches, grind cashews, pecans and seeds to a fine powder. Be sure not to grind too much otherwise they will turn into a paste, which you do not want. Once grinded into a fine powder, transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- NOTE: if you do not have a coffee grinder, you can blend the nuts & seeds using a high-speed food processor or a Thermomix. You want them to turn into a fine powder, similar to the texture of LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond meal).
- Add chocolate chips to the grinder and blend until they’re broken down, partially into a powder but still leaving a few small chunks. Transfer into the large mixing bowl.
- Stir through LSA, coconut sugar and coconut milk powder.
- Add cocoa powder, whisk through until everything is well blended.
- Transfer to an airtight glass jar or container where your milo will be stored.
- Add to a cold glass of milk (I use almond milk) or make a hot milo by adding 1/2-1 tablespoon of milo, depending on your taste preference. You may want to add a little sweetener of your choice to your hot milo if desired.
- Store milo in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 month or longer.
*You can find LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond) from your supermarket in the health food aisle/ nut aisle. Or your local health food store. **You can find coconut milk powder from your supermarket, I use the brand Ayam from Woolworths. You can also find it from a bulk food store such as The Source Bulk Foods. If you still cannot get your hands on it, you can use regular dairy milk powder. Or leave it out altogether, it will still be delicious!