The obsession with chocolate and hazelnut together continues this week because why not? Plus you’re addicted as well yeah…?
Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge!! Oh my goodness golly gosh, let me tell you something for free, this fudge is THAT GOOD! Hehe!
What’s even better? This fudge is 100% plant based, woohoo! I’m also partial to “traditional” chocolate fudge made with condensed milk but this fudge is just as good, if not better. Probably better to be honest with you, tastes amazing, has that classic fudgy texture and it’s rich! Not too rich though, the avocado balances it out perfectly.
Oh yeah, there’s half an avocado in this, don’t run away now because I promise you, you can’t taste it! Unless you have the nose and taste of an airport sniffer dog 😉
The avocado brings all the ingredients together and makes the fudge lovely and thick, a wonderful alternative to nut butters, especially if you’re allergic to nuts! But that can be counter-productive as there are hazelnuts in this recipe, if you’re allergic to nuts, just omit the hazelnuts and you will have yourself a delicious batch of healthy chocolate fudge!
I highly recommend that you use Dutch-processed cocoa powder for this chocolate fudge recipe. It provides more richness to the fudge (extra chocolatey). It makes your fudge a lot darker in colour and the texture is a lot more smoother, giving you velvety rich chocolate fudge, now who doesn’t want that? If you don’t have it already in your pantry, I use Organic Times Cocoa Powder (it’s Dutch-processed). Or you can use any brand you wish! Hunt it down at your supermarket or local health food store.
We haven’t even mentioned the fact that there are hazelnut’s in this fudge!!! Like what?! Self-explanatory; adds crunch!! We all love crunch…
Enjoy this super simple chocolate hazelnut fudge recipe my friends, it’s pretty addictive!
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups dutch-processed cocoa powder* I use Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 1 large avocado, flesh/pit removed, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1½ cups whole hazelnuts, roasted or plain, roughly chopped
- Extra whole hazelnuts for topping
- Line a 9” x 9” square baking tin with parchment paper or a 9” x 5” loaf tin for a thicker/taller fudge.
- In a medium sized pot, add coconut oil and melt over a low heat.
- Once completely melted, add in maple syrup, cocoa, mashed avocado and vanilla. Whisk vigorously until well combined and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir through chopped hazelnuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared lined tin and smooth out the top.
- Sprinkle over desired amount of extra whole hazelnuts, pushing them slightly into the fudge.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours or until completely set. Or set in the refrigerator until set.
- Remove from tin and slice into long bars or small squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
*You can find Dutch-processed cocoa powder from your supermarket or local health food store. This variety of cocoa makes this fudge dark, rich and velvety. Or you can use regular cocoa or cacao.