What’s this?! It’s a savoury recipe!! Rare I know but this deliciousness is too good not to share with my friends, that’s YOU!
This is a super simple yet so incredibly yummy, Vegan Caesar Salad!
Is it just me or do you also think salads are just.. well.. a little boring..? I don’t think that all the time especially when I’m feasting on a hearty salad, not just green leafs, you know what I’m saying? Although, this caesar salad does just look like one of those…
I promise you, it’s so worth making!!
Underneath all those leaves, crispy croutons and delicious tempeh is zucchini noodles! Oh yes… the zucchini noodles really do make the most perfect addition to this vegan caesar salad, although not traditional. “Vegan” caesar salad is not that traditional either is it? I’m all about thinking outside the square with food and creating a recipe that is not only beautiful to look at but also super delicious!! Now I think I created that with this caesar salad and I have to confess, I’m pretty proud, I will be making and consuming this on the daily until I’m over it. Just like putting your new favourite song on repeat until it annoys you.
Do you do that with your playlist as well? Let’s just leave the subject of vegan salads right now. My Spotify playlist is slow growing because I seriously just listen to the same 4-5 songs on repeat all day, everyday. I don’t get sick of songs for a good couple of weeks. I just thought I would share that fun info with you guys, lol, am I boring you yet?
Ok so pretty much all I ask of you is to make THIS SALAD!! Even if you just make 1 serving of it for your lunch make a large quantity to serve along side your dinner. Chicken caesar salad used to be one of my absolute favourites, that is until I turned into a vegetarian. It isn’t until now that I have made a caesar salad, this time though, it’s super healthy, fresh, homemade and completely vegan, woohoo!! Enjoy!
- 2 slices gluten free bread or regular bread, vegan friendly
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 small-medium garlic cloves
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup tempeh, cubed
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried all-purpose herbs
- 1 medium-large zucchini, trimmed
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Trim crusts of bread. Slice into cubes and place on a baking tray.
- Drizzle olive oil over bread cubes and sprinkle with garlic powder. Toss bread until well coated.
- Place in oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the bread is golden and crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Make dressing while croutons are cooking.
- In a high-speed blender, add all dressing ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and well blended, approx. 15-20 seconds. If the dressing is too thick, add a little more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until a thin dressing consistency is reached. Place dressing in refrigerator until ready for use.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed tempeh, garlic and herbs, mix until tempeh is coated in the seasonings and oil.
- Fry tempeh over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden and slightly crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a spiralizer, create zucchini noodles. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can create thin zucchini ribbons instead, using a vegetable peeler.
- In a serving bowl, toss together lettuce and zoodles.
- Add croutons and tempeh, toss together.
- Drizzle over desired amount of dressing.
- Serve and enjoy.