First of all, how gorgeous are they purple potatoes?! I have yet to discover their exact name but they were delicious and absolutely beautiful to look at.
I picked these mini potatoes up from my local organic produce store and I forgot to look at the name of them. I was on a mission to get mini potatoes and began filling my shopping bag with the first ones I saw, went home and didn’t use them for a couple of days. So they day I decided to roast them, I started to peel them and oh.my.goodness, I unveiled the most beautiful purple colour, as you can see by these images. If you know the exact name of these beauties, please do let me know! So far people have told me these names:
Blue Congo Potato
Hawaiian Sweet Potato
I’ll looked each one of the potato varieties up and none seem to be an exact match, it may have something to do with my potatoes being organic? They had a dark dirty skin on them. Although, I did find one variety that looks pretty close to the ones I used, ‘Bora Valley Potato’.
Anywho! As I don’t know the exact name of the purple potatoes, I suggest also using mini chat potatoes, which is originally what I was after but my organic’s store had none. Or you can use any mini potato you desire, cooking times just may vary but the flavourings in this recipe are minimal yet powerful.
Roasted potatoes make the perfect side dish to compliment any one of your main meals and garlic is an absolute classic! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 500g any mini purple potatoes, or mini chat potatoes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 small-medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp dried or fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped oregano leaves, to serve
- Crumbled feta, to serve - optional
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC (400ºF).
- Peel potatoes and slice each in half lengthways.
- Add potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle over olive oil.
- Add minced garlic (I used a garlic mincer for this step), dried or fresh chopped oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix until potatoes are well coated. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Mix potatoes again and pour into a large baking dish or pan.
- Roast in oven for 35-45 minutes or until tender, golden and crispy on the outside.
- Serve sprinkled with extra fresh oregano and crumbled feta.