Fri-Yay!!! Get weekend ready with these SUPER delicious and flavoursome coleslaw stuffed sweet potatoes!
Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you just how yummy these are… I guess you will just have to make them for yourself to find out hey!
So seriously… I just whipped these up for my lunch the other day and of course I had to share it with you my friends because they are so simple to make and they are filled with the best healthy ingredients!
Have you ever thought of stuffing your sweet potatoes with coleslaw before?? Yeah me neither! It’s so incredibly tasty though and paired with the homemade beetroot pesto, you will be craving these more than you would have thought, because I am!!
The coleslaw is cold and the sweet potato is warm from the oven and it’s just the best combo to enjoy. Literally bursting with flavour and health you will be surprised just how easy a good plant based dish can really be. Enjoy these for your lunch or they also make a wonderful side to have with your dinner. They’re filling, depending on the size of your sweet potatoes so they can just be a meal in themselves if you really wanted to. As I said, I had them for my lunch, well only one half because I had to save room for snacks and dinner of course haha!
These stuffed potatoes are also a great opportunity to get a a serve of your veggies in. I mean, how tasty is coleslaw?! I have to make coleslaw more often, simple and delicious – the best kind of food! It is the depths of winter here and I guess coleslaw can be seen more in the summertime but loaded into a hot roasted sweet potato, yeah, the answer is always going to be a big YES!
This beetroot pesto is just a piece of magic in itself. If you have any leftover pesto you can always dip your crackers into it because that is also really yummy. There is a whole lot of deliciousness going down today and I hope you’re just as excited as I am!
Will you make these coleslaw sweet potatoes too?? I hope you do and let me know as I promise you, I will be making them more often than not! Enjoy!!
- 1 medium-large carrot, grated
- ¼ purple cabbage (approx. 1½ cups), shredded
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Roast Sweet Potato
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Beetroot Pesto
- 1 large raw beetroot, peeled + 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for roasting
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Spring onion, thinly sliced
- In a mixing bowl, combine all coleslaw ingredients, mix until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator.
- Roast Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F).
- Slice sweet potato in half lengthways. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over olive oil and roast for 30-40 minutes or until the middle is soft and tender.
- Beetroot Pesto
- Chop beetroot in large cubes and lay out on baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Once beetroot is tender, remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, add beetroot into a food processor with remaining pesto ingredients. Blend on high until well combined and smooth but still a little chunky. Add more olive oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to smooth it out. Spoon pesto into a clean bowl and set aside.
- Once sweet potato is tender in the middle, remove from oven.
- Gently spoon out just a little from the top of each sweet potato half.
- Add desired amount of prepared coleslaw into each sweet potato along with the sweet potato you removed.
- Spoon over beetroot pesto and sprinkle with sliced spring onion.
- Serve and enjoy!