Gluten free and dairy free flat bread…. yes, it can be achieved!
Today’s recipe is this glorious Cheesy Garlic Turmeric Flat Bread and let me tell you something for free, it smells sensational!! Like I’m obsessed! If you love the smell of bread dough, add garlic and herbs into that mix… can you smell it?? Let’s rock and roll!
So this is not your typical flat bread, in terms of texture I’m referring too. I quite like the texture of this particular bread recipe. It’s crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It’s completely gluten free and contains no dairy, yippee!!! Fun fact: you can replace the coconut oil with pure ghee! Give it a shot if you’re not too concerned with the dairy. You can also add your preferred cheese if you wish not to use vegan cheese. You can find vegan cheese from your local health food store.
As I was saying, the texture inside this gluten free flat bread is more on the chewy side and it’s so yummy!! It’s not like those paper thin pita breads where it’s like a corn chip, no, this flat bread has character, flavour and a delicious combination of tasty toppings. I suggest you go heavy on the garlic powder, because garlic powder is everythinggg!!
This flat bread is super easy to make. Literally not like normal bread at all. You heat up the coconut liquids, whisk together the dry and add them together. It then forms a wet dough with the eggs and you spread it out on your oven tray and bake it! Add your cheese halfway through cooking, to melt it completely. Can you see that oozing deliciousness?? Ok “oozing” doesn’t sound quite that appetising does it now? 😉
Fabulous! We have now discussed what this delicious gluten free and dairy free flat bread is all about and now it’s your turn to make yourself a serving! Enjoy!
- Flat Bread
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed Italian herbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ Tbsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese (or regular cheese)
- Small handful fresh rocket (arugula) leaves
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Flat Bread
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tapioca, coconut flour, Italian herbs, garlic, turmeric and salt, mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut cream and coconut oil together until small bubbles appear around the edges but not boiling, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat when ready.
- Pour heated coconut mixture into flour mixture, mixing thoroughly until well combined. Allow dough to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir through lightly whisked egg until well combined.
- Pour dough mixture into the centre of prepared baking tray. Use a spatula to spread dough out into a large round, approx. ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, Italian herbs over dough.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until lightly golden and edges begin to get crispy.
- Remove from oven and top with grated cheese.
- Return to oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Remove and top with fresh rocket (arugula) leaves and a drizzling of olive oil.
- Slice the bread into desired sized pieces. I used a pizza wheel for this step.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can also use pure ghee in place of the coconut oil.