Happy Wednesday! We have reached the middle of the week, can you believe it?!
What’s perfect to have at your 3pm slumps? Muffins of course!
Fresh strawberries have been folded through that muffins batter and it’s all topped off with a tasty quick homemade crumble with hemp seeds, that’s right, hemp seeds! You can get your protein in with your muffins and that’s how your Wednesday just got better!
I’m unsure why I haven’t published more crumble muffins because that crumble topping is just so so delicious plus very simple to make) and it just takes muffins to the next level. How do you like your muffins?!
The strawberries offer a punch of freshness and they also help keep the muffins moist, fluffy and light.
I used my go-to and favourite base muffin recipe and simply added in fresh strawberries and whipped up an crumble topping. The crumble is just made with flour, oats, coconut sugar, hemp seeds and melted coconut oil. You make the crumble before the muffin batter because you want the coconut oil in the crumble to set and harden. This helps the mixture turn into a “crumble” so it’s essential that you make the crumble first.
I hope you enjoy these yummy batch of strawberry crumble muffins because they’re also gluten free and dairy free, yay!
- ½ cup gluten free self-raising flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp Fair Foods Hemp Seeds
- 40g coconut oil, melted
- 1¾ cups gluten free all purpose flour, I use Bobs Red Mill ‘1-to-1 Baking Flour’
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, soft at room temperature, not melted
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup plain natural yoghurt or applesauce/puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk or any thin milk of choice
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Extra Fair Foods Hemp Seeds, for sprinkling after baking
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, hemp seeds and melted coconut oil. Mix until it turns into large chunks, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a 12-hole regular sized muffin pan with regular sized muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, lightly beat the coconut oil until just soft. Add coconut sugar and beat on high for 1 minute.
- Add eggs, yoghurt (or applesauce) and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute or until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides when needed whilst beating.
- Add dry flour mixture into creamed mixture. Beat slowly until just combined.
- Pour in milk, mix until well combined and mixture forms a soft muffin batter.
- Fold through chopped strawberries.
- Spoon batter evenly amongst liners, filling each one to the top. Sprinkle a generous amount of the prepared crumble onto each muffin top.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle extra hemp seeds over the muffins.