Do you love apple crumble pie and a really good fluffy muffin?! Here are my Spiced Apple Crumble Muffins, apple crumble in muffin form essentially. I was able to successfully make these deletable muffins gluten free and dairy free, yay!
I’ll be honest, this muffin recipe would have to be the best gluten free one I’ve tried, lets begin in saying they are absolutely fresh, fluffy, light, hearty and full of flavour, is that enough to get you to give this recipe a go for yourself? Add on this apple crumb topping and you have yourself the tastiest autumn/wintery muffin to cosy on up to with a hot cup of tea, thats what i’ll be doing!
If you’re looking for a great gluten free muffin recipe, please try this one, even if you don’t add the topping, you can be as creative as you desire. I would love to know how you go with these, this recipe is going on the top of my best gluten free muffin recipes :D.
- 2 cups oat flour, gluten free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup runny honey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup rolled oats, gluten free
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1½ Tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ Tbsp coconut oil, solid form
- Apple Mix
- 1 small/medium sized apple, peel left on
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4-5 whole cloves
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (430ºF) and line a muffin pan with muffin cases, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry muffin ingredients. Whisk altogether until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all wet muffin ingredients. Whisk altogether until well combined.
- Gradually add in the wet mixture to the dry mixture, folding mix between additions. Whisk until all combined, making sure not to over mix. The batter will be quite thin and runny, don’t worry, it’s meant to be this way.
- Divide the batter among the muffin pan cases, fill them up approx. ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat of the oven to 200ºC (400ºF) and continue baking the muffins for a further 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Be sure to keep an eye on the muffins for the last 10 minutes, some may cook faster depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and let the muffins sit in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Apple Mix
- Reduce oven heat to 160ºC (330ºF). This will be for your crumble.
- In a high speed food processor, pulse apple for a few seconds, making sure the pieces are not too small, you still want some medium/small sized chunks in there for texture.
- In a medium size pot over medium heat, combine all apple mix ingredients. Stir to combine altogether. Place a lid on the pot and let mixture simmer and cook.
- Keep an eye on your apple mix, making sure it doesn’t come to a rolling boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until apples are soft and the water has been dissolved. Occasionally stirring.
- Whilst the apple mixture is cooking, begin on your crumble.
- Set aside a non-stick oven tray.
- In a high speed food processor, combine all crumble ingredients and pulse until the mixture begins to stick together and resembles a crumble.
- Pour crumble out onto the oven tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. You may want to stir the crumble once whilst its in the oven to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Drain any excess water left in your apple mixture and place into a clean mixing bowl.
- Add in crumble and mix altogether until combined.
- Using your hands with gloves or a large spoon, place a small handful of crumble-apple mixture on top of each muffin, slightly push down on the topping until it sticks and is secure. Repeat with the rest of the topping mixture.
- Serve warm or keep in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 1 week.
You can heat these muffins up again in a warm oven or microwave and serve it with cream, custard or ice-cream.
The muffins by themselves are so fresh and delicious you may not want to add the apple crumble topping.
Does not have to be refrigerated for them to stay fresh.