Hola! Today’s recipe is my Mixed Berry Muffins! These beauties are not only gluten free, they are also refined sugar free and dairy free, how good is that?! I hope you all enjoyed my previous post for my Vegan Nasi Goreng, I’m very proud of that one, especially for my very first savoury recipe for Wholesome Patisserie.
This recipes calls for coconut flour, i have mixed thoughts about coconut flour. Sometimes it works and sometimes i wonder why did i use that? Coconut flour is quite absorbent so you only ever need a small quantity but have more liquid ingredients to compensate. It’s a hard science I’m still trying to master. It’s absolutely a great alternative to wheat flour and i hope the more i use it the more i become comfortable with it.
I was inspired to create these Mixed Berry Muffins as i always have a large packet of frozen mixed berries on hand since i make berry breakfast smoothies nearly everyday, so why not use some up and add them to a delicious gluten free muffin mix?! Almond flour is the main bulk of flour in this recipe and therefore delivers a tasty, earthy and morish flavour to these muffins. The muffin itself is quite moist and therefore won’t last long so i recommend you make and eat these beauties within a few days to avoid excess moisture build up, yes… doesn’t that sound just delightful 😉 I promise, they are scrumptious!
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk*
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Prepare muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined, making sure you do not over mix.
- The batter will be thick, not to worry, it's meant to be this way.
- Fold through berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each liner ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of your muffins are set and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- Move to a wire rack and let completely cool.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Keep in and airtight container, in the pantry or refrigerated for 3-5 days.