I’m so EXCITED to share this incredible recipe with you! Apple Poppy Seed Muffins! Because they’re so light and fluffy, exactly what a muffin should be!
I’m giving credit to this awesome gluten free flour blend I recently discovered from Bob’s Red Mill. It’s their Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour and each time I have used it in a recipe that calls for regular wheat flour, it turns out perfectly! I can’t contain my excitement because gluten free baking is a challenge and if this flour works in cookies, muffins, cakes and cupcakes oh and don’t forget about shortbread, I’ll be one happy little chicken!!!
I loosely adapted a recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, thank you so much Sally, you’re a gem and a genius! I made them into gluten free and dairy free muffins. If you want them to be vegan though and free from any animal products, try a couple of flax eggs! Warning: I have not made this recipe using flax eggs but I usually have success with replacing regular eggs with flax eggs. I just haven’t experimented with them in this muffin recipe. Sometimes eggs just work perfectly in baked goods. Remember though, eggs are not dairy!!
These muffins are filled with chopped apple, giving them a beautiful sweet flavour that will make you feel like you’re at home enjoying a winters afternoon. Apple pairs perfectly with cinnamon and poppy seeds, you can enjoy these fluffy delicious muffins for breakfast and as a snack throughout your day! Oh my goodness, can you imagine them as a dessert with a generous serving of dairy free ice-cream?! Warmed in the oven??!!! The muffin warmed, not the ice-cream…hehehe! Ok ok, I think I’m going to have to do that when they’re nearly going stale, that’s if there is any left by then! 😉
I didn’t mention the day of the week at the beginning of this post as I usually do because I can seriously not believe it’s already Friday again??!! Where is the time going?? Anyway, wishing you all a super duper weekend and I hope you get to make yourself a batch of these delightful apple and poppy seed muffins!
- 1¾ cups gluten free all purpose flour, I use Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature**
- ½ cup Cocobella Coconut Yoghurt***
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk or any milk of choice
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped into small bite sized cubes, equivalent to 1 cup
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a 12-hole regular sized muffin pan with regular sized muffin or cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, lightly beat the coconut oil until just soft. Add coconut sugar and beat on high for 1 minute.
- Add eggs, yoghurt and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute or until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides when needed whilst beating.
- Add dry flour mixture into creamed mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour in milk, mix until well combined and mixture forms a soft muffin batter.
- Fold through chopped apple.
- Spoon batter evenly amongst liners, filling each one to the top. Sprinkle each muffin top with desired amount of poppy seeds.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*I love Bobs Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in my baked goods. It works perfectly as an exact swap for regular flour as a 1:1 ratio. You may also use any other gluten free all purpose flour or any regular wheat all purpose flour.
**For a vegan version, you may try a flax egg or a chia egg. I haven't tried this muffin recipe with those 2 methods.
***You may also use any other regular yoghurt or greek yoghurt.