So I’m sure you guys know that a good curry can go a long way right? Yes! I believe that everyone should have a classic, delicious and trustworthy staple curry recipe on hand because you will never know when you are going to need it. This is my Spicy Potato and Spinach Curry, how delicious does that sound already?! Bonus? It’s completely vegan!
You will be using two types of potatoes in your curry, white potatoes and sweet potatoes, I like to mix things up. Plus a whole lot of fresh spinach leaves and spices. I love to prepare this dish anyway of the week, it’s absolutely perfect for the entire family. You decide on how spicy you want your curry because you can simply reduce the amount of spices used or increase them, whatever floats your boat really!
You can make this ahead of time which is what I like to do sometimes, it’s just easier that way (sometimes!) but this vegetarian curry is stunning when consumed immediately after cooking it. If you’re thinking the amount of fresh spinach being used is large, just a reminder that it will wilt down and blend in with the rest of the ingredients.
Let me know what you think of this classic vegan potato and spinach curry, it’s one of my families favourite dishes because it’s so easy, it’s a powerhouse of flavour and it’s equally healthy for you, could you ask for anything more??!
- Turmeric Rice
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 large white potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- 1 small-medium sweet potato, washed, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric paste*
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 150g fresh spinach leaves or swiss chard, washed, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Heat a small pot halfway with water, bring to a boil then turn down low or turn off and set aside for rice later.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over high heat, add diced onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic powder and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add cubed potatoes, mix well with onions.
- Add all spices except fenugreek seeds and toss through potatoes. Sauté potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Pour in water, enough just to cover potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes, covered, until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring small pot of water to a boil again. Add turmeric powder and rice, mix well.
- Cook rice on high, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until al dente.
- When potatoes are tender, add spinach leaves and mix well with potatoes until spinach begins to wilt, on medium-high heat.
- Add fenugreek seeds, mix well.
- When rice is cooked, drain and set aside.
- Once spinach leaves have wilted and potatoes are tender, remove from heat.
- Serve up curry with cooked rice and enjoy!
*I found my turmeric paste from my local health food store and asian grocery store.
I welcome you to add more or less spices depending on your desired taste.